Todate, there is only a mere 40 players have pre-registered for the event. A number of regulars [based on past years entries] have yet to register themselves for this event. I hope anyone who read this article, please share with your chess friends. CAS is hoping for a strong support to this event, else this may well be the last Selangor Open with RM 6,750 prize fund. Without sponsorship, the Association will incur massive losses with the kind of prize fund put up for the event.
In the past, many chess players used one or more of the following reasons on why that cannot take part in Selangor Open:-
1) Cannot take 2 days off from office ==> This year, we accomodate this reason with 0.5 day off from office because the other 3 days are non-working day. Alternatively, inform the organiser that you will missed Rd 1, and play from Rd 2 then can't take leave is no longer an issue.
2) Cannot take 2 days off from school ==> This year, we accomodate by starting the event at 2.30pm on Thurs and the other 3 days are non-schooling day. Alternatively, inform the organiser that you will missed Rd 1, and play from Rd 2 then can't miss school [Afternoon session students] is no longer an issue.
3) Venue lacks public transportation ==> This year, we accomodate by organising it in the heart of KL city. [LRT and public bus are nearby]
4) Prize fund not attractive ==> This year, we accomodate by having a slightly higher total prize fund DESPITE having no sponsorship at all.
5) No cheap hotel nearby for convenient of players who does not want to travel ==> This year, the venue has many cheap hotels nearby within walking distance.
6) Too few prizes on offer e.g. No prizes for Veteran, Ladies, the Disabled ==> This year, we accomodate all these factors and all-in-all there are 15 category prizes on offer , excluding the existing top 10 prizes. [To date based on the pre-registration list, I've not seen real support from these 3 groups of people registering themselves]. What happen?
7) Clash of event ==> This year, we work with other active organisers to make sure there is no clash of event. This is a win-win situation.
[P/s: "we" represents Chess Association of Selangor (CAS)]
For those who wish to participate in this event, Please email your name to email@example.com for pre-registration. Closing date: 25th April 2009. Thereafter, a late administrative fee shall be charged.
Lim Tse Pin
Hon. Secretary of CAS